CJ Henry Law Firm, PLLC

2303 East Fort King Street
Ocala, FL 34471

Call For A Free Consultation

(352) 577-7746

CJ Henry Law Firm, PLLC

When to Report Income to SSA as a Self-Employed Worker

  • Published: June 17, 2014

To avoid losing your Social Security disability benefits, you should be careful when engaging in self-employed work activities. If your work situation is going to change, you should retain an Ocala Social Security disability benefits lawyer before proceeding. In the meantime, educate yourself about the potential pitfalls to avoid problems.

Substantial Gainful Activity

Business owners and other self-employed people who receive Social Security disability benefits often assume that they only need to worry about engaging in substantial gainful activity if they are making a profit. That’s not necessarily the case. However, you’re highly unlikely to lose your benefits based on these activities alone.

Still, if you’re working 80 or more hours per month, even if you’re losing money, the Social Security Administration may state that you are performing trial work period services. You could inadvertently use up your trial period in this way. An Ocala Social Security disability attorney can advise you on the situation.

Reporting Income to the Social Security Administration

Unfortunately, the SSA isn’t always clear about who should report what and when they should report it. If you start working or start a new business, you should let the SSA know as quickly as possible. As far as income goes, you should report it by the 10th of the month.

When it comes to providing documentation, the SSA is exasperatingly vague. It’s generally best to provide pay stubs and other documentation promptly. As long as you keep your income below the substantial gainful activity threshold, an overpayment shouldn’t occur.

To be on the safe side, call the SSA when you begin working or start a business and ask when you should provide documentation. Make sure the person at the SSA knows you’re talking about Social Security disability benefits and get his or her name and location. Following the call, send a summary letter of what was discussed to the local office.

Hire a Skilled Ocala Social Security Disability Benefits Lawyer

If losing your Social Security disability benefits would be catastrophic for you, cover your bases by retaining a competent Ocala Social Security disability attorney. Call the CJ Henry Law Firm, PLLC at 352.304.5300 to find an experienced Ocala Social Security disability benefits lawyer in your area.

Claudeth Henry

Attorney Henry is a Florida disability lawyer Florida disability lawyer uniquely suited to help you
with your disability-related legal needs...Protect Your Benefits Today (352) 577-7746